Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Six Feet Under

Last week's puzzle was easy.  This week not so much, though if you check out the hint on the answer page, it's quite doable.

My son attended Interlochen Music Camp this past summer and I was inspired to create this puzzle.

Q:

     Michael loved the orchestra.  But upon each entrance, he let out a horrible screech. “My oboe won’t work. I think it’s a reed.”

     “I think it may be both reeds…again,” replied the conductor. “If our concert is to be a success, you must be prepared.  And if I’ve said that once, I’ve said it a thousand times.  Some of our larger and more unusual instruments are hard to maintain,” he went on, “like the wood pipes and the quasi-xylophones.  I guess even the harps, which weigh the most of all, may have an excuse.  But you play an oboe with tiny little reeds.”

     “I’m sorry,” Michael replied. “I mean I never wanted to be a problem. At least not this often.”

Seeing the shame on the young man’s face, how did the conductor respond?

A: “It’s okay, Michael. Even my best players make mistakes.”

B: “It’s okay, Michael, but if it happens again, you’re out.”

      


Answer has been posted